Cabinet magazine issue 36, with a
special section on “Friendship,” available now
For a full table of contents, click here.
– Reflections on friendship and memory by D. Graham Burnett, Mark Dery, Richard Fleming, Sabrina Gschwandtner, Shelley Jackson, Albert Mobilio, and Christine Wertheim
– Beth Blum’s defense of friendlessness
– Svetlana Boym’s meditation on Hannah Arendt, Mary McCarthy, and the nuances of anchovy paste
– Jeffrey Kastner & Sina Najafi’s conversation with scholar Angie Hobbs on the philosophical pedigree of friendship
– Gabriel Coxhead’s reading of Hands Across the Sea postcards
– Mats Bigert’s diagnosis of broken friendships
– Artist projects by Alessandra Sanguinetti and Matti Kallioinen
And schedule some quality time with:
– Paul La Farge on the color black
– Helen Denise Polson on the fate of teeth
– Christopher Turner on swan marks
– Geoffrey Batchen on the variable form of Barthes’s Camera Lucida
– Margaret Wertheim, Hinke Osinga, and Bernd Krauskopf on the complexities of the Lorenz manifold
– Aaron Schuster on the tale of a linguistic squiggle
– Steve Reinke on death and sudden death
– Artist projects by Zoe Beloff and Lena Herzog
– Cabinet BFF Jeff Dolven helps us process our complex feelings toward the United States Postal Service
Cabinet is on sale in the US at independent bookstores, Barnes & Noble, Tower, Borders, Hudson News, and Universal News. Also available in Canada, the UK, Germany, France, Belgium, Holland, Sweden, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Turkey, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, and elsewhere. A partial list of retailers worldwide can be found here.
Cabinet is published by Immaterial Incorporated, a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization. Cabinet receives generous support from the Orphiflamme Foundation, the Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts, the Starry Night Fund of the Tides Foundation, the New York State Council on the Arts, the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs, the National Endowment for the Arts, the Katchadourian Foundation, the Danielson Foundation, and Epson America, Inc.