The Museum of Contemporary Art Antwerp (M HKA) is looking for a curator, organizer and researcher who will help to expand and strengthen M HKA’s international horizons.
Museum of Contemporary Art Antwerp
We are looking for a colleague who is willing to identify with a public institution and take pride in it, a good organizer who cares about programming and museum practice and who is willing to work in a team. Someone who believes in the social relevance of art and the potential for an art museum to have an impact, both in its relationship to the field of art as well as to society at large. He or she should be well-informed about the art world at different levels, have an extensive international network, be aware of current debates in contemporary art and be prepared to challenge existing hierarchies.
In broad terms the job requires that a candidate will:
- Propose, develop and organize presentations and curatorial projects of varying formats.
- Undertake practical and intellectual research in order to help develop a progressive hypothesis on art.
- Produce texts that clearly communicate the contents of specific projects, as well as express insights more generally into the workings of art and its contexts.
- Collaborate closely with the museum’s departments and engage with its organisational structure in a positive and productive manner including acting as team leader for specific projects. Be an effective representative for the museum both locally, nationally and internationally.
- Participate closely in the development of the museum’s thinking on contemporary art as well as its overall policy direction.
- Gather and archive information in the institution’s existing database structures.
We are looking for a colleague with five years of proven curatorial experience at an international level and with a defined sense of their own research trajectory. The candidate should have a relevant degree and a broad knowledge of contemporary art, its institutions and theories. He or she should be able to work in a structured manner, setting clear goals and aiming for successful results, as well as being able to demonstrate flexibility in the face of artistic and institutional contingencies.
Candidates should ideally be prepared to learn Dutch and be based in Antwerp or its immediate surroundings.
We can offer you a varied job in a high profile museum with stimulating work environment, a contract of indefinite duration and standard remuneration on the basis of capacity and experience, with extra-legal benefits.
Are you interested, or do you know anyone who might be interested? If you feel you may be the person we are looking for, please send us a letter setting out why you believe you would be the right candidate for this position along with a CV before May 25th 2010.
Applications should be sent to email@example.com
(M HKA, Leuvenstraat 32, 2000 Antwerpen, Belgium)